You will sit

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by pass99, May 31, 2010.

1. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Pistons' Joe Dumars expects right attitude from potential draftees

BY PERRY A. FARRELL
    FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

For Pistons president Joe Dumars, drafting a potential NBA player means more than just watching film and conferring with scouts, especially when dealing with a youngster who has to exhibit patience and talent to keep team chemistry in order.

Dumars said if you asked Austin Daye, DaJuan Summers or Jonas Jerebko what his conversations with Dumars were like before being drafted, "They would tell you that during the pre-draft meetings we had with them before the draft we talked to them about what's going to happen when you're not playing for two months.
    "Guys are like, 'I'll be able to handle it.' And what I say to guys is, 'It's easy to say that today because the draft is in two weeks and you really want your name called out. I'm sure you're willing to say whatever to me right now, but that's going to be real and that's going to be a reality for you. Don't tell me today you're going to be OK with it and think that once it starts you're going to be able to sulk and pout and get sympathy from me. It's not going to happen.' "
    Jerebko eventually became a starter and key contributor while Summers sat and seemed to handle the situation a tad bit better than Daye, who was the team's first-round pick and is younger than both Jerebko and Summers. Daye turns 22 on Saturday.
    Dumars said he issues a warning during his chats with potential picks.
    "If you can't handle this you may want to raise your hand and say something to me right now that I may struggle with this, because if you come here and you struggle with this you and I are going to have a problem," he said.
    "Don't tell me you can do this. I know this is tough for them. What I'm saying to them is don't react the wrong way to it. I expect it to be tough, but I don't want to see any attitude."

Contact PERRY A. FARRELL: 313-222-2555 or pafarrell@freepress.com.

Is this posturing?

2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The only way our #7 is riding the pine is if Dumars botched the pick. We need to draft a starter.

3. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yeah, this seems like a really weird POV to be expressing before THIS draft. It would have made more sense coming out last year, but we're drafting at 7. Maybe Joe is trying to prepare everyone for the fact we might be trading...gulp...down... :faint2:

4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Idiotic.

5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

It's funny because it is so sad.

6. Tally

Tally First Round Draft Pick

I recall an article from last summer that indicated Joe passed on someone because they didn't answer this question very well. I also remember Joe asked Ben Gordon and Charlie V if they were OK coming off the bench.

Interesting that Joe just called for more "grit" on his team. Wouldn't gritty young players tend to react negatively to a question about accepting a non-competitive role on your lottery team?

I get not wanting a bad attitude on the team, but there are so many other ways bad attitudes show up, such as: high body fat at the combine, body language during games, getting outplayed by players with less talent, and making your ex-coach concoct bizarre stories to cover your previous bad behavior (ahem...narcolepsy).

Joe has won three championships with a bunch of guys who would not have anwered this question very well.

7. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

We know how Ben Wallace felt about the Bench...Just ask Flip Saunders.

Hey Joe...What's up with that. (this question)

8. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

I read the comments different then most have I guess. I read it that the folks were going to keep working to earn there playing time, I took it that the question came from the Darko situation.

There is a huge difference between being told your not playing and being ok with it and still working hard to get back on the court, and being told you are not going to play and sulking on the bench (aka what I feel Darko did)

If I am right with the direction of the talk that Joe has with players I agree totally with what he's asking..... Now if you all are right, then I agree its a bad question.

For the record, I feel NO player should ever be happy with a seat on the bench, every player should feel they should be on the floor for 48 mins a game.... Its the coaches job to then put players on the floor in timing and setups that bring the best benifit for the team to win the games.

What I feel you have to get are players that will work hard in practice whether they play 48 mins or 48 secs in a game, and I feel that is what Joe was looking at.

9. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

So true.

#7 SHOULD be a starter on this roster.
    ...or at least be good enough to not get the "How are you going to feel if you don't play for a month" question.

[strike]I'm starting to believe that the Darko HOFers were right.[/strike]

10. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I'm really losing faith in Dumards.

11. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm okay with Dumars asking our potential #36th pick these types of questions.

12. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Actually, I think this is a valid question for a higher pick. Someone that's picked #36 will assume he'll be a bench player. The lottery picks are all 19 year old kids who all have a sense of entitlement. They are more likely to sulk and pout.

I think this is a legit question. Let me repeat with emphasis. I think this is a legit question. Y'all are reacting as if Joe asks this question as a litmus test and makes a hire/no hire decision based on that.

13. roscoe36

Let's also look at this from the other side.

What does this have to say about Joe's inabilities to (1) get young talent in who can contribute right away, and (2) develop young talent over time?

14. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

you are getting very negative sir.... smile.... its all good... another year that james and howard don't win a title :D

15. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

First off - I can't hate Joe Dumars. He's done too much to make me happy as a Pistons fan. He was my favorite player when he played and he brought us a championship in '04.

Like anyone else, he's not perfect. Dude has made some mistakes.

but...

He can't afford to be much less than perfect this off-season.
    Got to draft (or trade for) guys that will contribute and that can be a part of getting us back on track.
    ...back to the playoffs
    ...back to winning playoff series
    ...back to the finals
    ...back to winning championships

16. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

When you draft 8 guys who all play the same position I guess it is kind of necessary to ask them if they'd have a problem sitting.

17. max

max All-Star

Good point.

18. tads

tads First Round Draft Pick

It's still a loaded question, if you ask someone any of these questions about whether they would have a problem what do you expect them to say. They want to get drafted, so they will say whatever you want to hear. When the pistons number is called only 6 of the kids in the pool will be gone, all the rest are begging to be picked next, so of course they will say yes.

It's a stupid question too. Realistically, no one knows how they will feel coming off the bench either. This is probably the first time in all of their basketball (AAU, HS, College), where people are better than them, so they won't, in many cases, predict their feelings (and so they will say yes).

For Joe, who probably doesn't want Jerry maguire on the phone asking why his lottery pick isn't playing more, this question is to shut down future complaints. He is buying his coach more time to do whatever it is the coach is going to do, He is showing the rest of the players on the team that there are no golden calves.

I imagine there is more important parts of the converstion that goes more into depth with the realities of being an NBA professional on a winning team than just "you will sit" and this is just the portion that Perry Farrell decided to focus on.

19. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

yeah, ppl read what they "want" to see: this forum is nolw collectively panicking that " whoever is picked,he'll sit, see:darko", as a result paniqeurs are seeing "benching" everywhere....

folks here is commiting now one of many fan mistakes: trying to read various hidden meanings from random media outlets, usually out of context

I think, Farrel wanted to bring up this "sitting question" as an example, to illustrate Dumars' line of thinking, for his readers.

I'm pretty sure, dumars tries to introduce to potential picks tough competition level level in NBA: nothing is guaranteed. do not forget that for many draftees NBA=sex, drugs and [strike]rock'nroll[/strike], rap.

20. roscoe36

I'm not negative. It is just my habit to be a contrarian and turn questions inside out. Joe is asking these kids if they can handle sitting, but the problem with the Pistons hasnt been one impatient kid after another, but an inability to develop young talent in the rotation.

I don't want guys who will be ok sitting. We have Charlie All Star for that. I want kids to look Joe in the eye and say, "if you want me to sit, don't draft me. I will earn a starting job with whoever drafts me, and the only way they will keep me out of the starting lineup is if it becomes political, because I am going to be better than the guy in front of me."

We need someone who believes in himself more than Dumars believes in him. GMs can't afford to always be right. Sometimes they have to be wrong. Sometimes they have to get more than they thought they could. Joe tries to do this constantly by aiming low (under promise) and then yielding something (over deliver on low expectations). That's fine if you want to keep the boss off your back and continue getting free passes in the media. But it is not how you win titles. Joe needs to size up the pitch, close his eyes, and swing like his life depends on it.

I really, really don't want to draft a guy whose biggest play in his rookie year will be handing out turkeys at Christmas as part of some community initiative narrated by Eli Zaret as a halftime feature. I would rather Joe sell the pick for cash so we can get some extra turkeys to keep Charlie company.

As long as the GM is the alpha dog of this franchise, we're not going to win another title. That is why we did so well with LB, but came up short with Flip Charmin. The biggest egos have to be on the sideline and/or court. They can't be sitting in the shadows texting on their crackberry.

Like so much Dumars does, it is a dog and pony show. We could use Jerry Maguire calling him, and demanding of him to SHOW US THE MONEY.

Joe is notorious for sacred calves, they are just never his young players. I think it says a lot that the closest thing to a franchise player he has drafted in 9 years is Tayshaun Prince. I like Tay, but he is no franchise player.