Your Favorite All Time Pistons Moment

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Apr 1, 2008.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Hey, what is your favorite all time Pistons moment?

I was just sitting here, picking the barbecue chicken from my teeth, and thought about what my fav is.

I'm kinda torn between Finals Game 3 in 1991, ECF Game 7 in 2005 and the game where Charles Barkley punched Bill Laimbeer (90/91?).
  2. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

You mean Game 3 in 1990, don't you?

I was out of the country when they clinched the title in '89, otherwise that might be favorite, since it was the first title. My fave is probably winning it all in '90 on the Microwave shot in the last second of Game 5.
  3. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

I'd also have to go with game 5 with vinnie winning us our 2nd of the back to backs.

We almost won this era's title to soon... our back to back titles were like a story... each year we climbed and climbed getting closer and closer to the top.

Another memory that jumps out would be early in the 89-90 season and a game againt the lakers... we went to overtime and shut them out in OT 11-0.

And one last one goes to our 04 champion ship run where we had the streak of holding teams in the 60's and the game against new jersey? where the game was out of reach and they called a timeout at the end to get a play to break 70.
  4. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Since I was on the other <cough cough> side for the back-to-back's, I'd have to go with round. That under 70 streak was an amazing thing.
  5. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I'll say the 2004 EC Finals. Game 5 against the Pacers. Score tied at 59-59 and about 3 minutes left to play. Ron Artest slams a forearm into Richard Hamilton. Rip sinks both free throws. Pistons win and the Pacers have never been the same.

One play that changed the fortunes of both teams. Pistons win it all and the Pacers begin to self destruct.
  6. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

What about "the block"?
  7. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Favorite moment for me was when the 1990 Portland series went on the road. We were 1-1 in the series and Clyde Drexler said that the series wouldn't be coming back to Detroit. Before the game began, the Pistons came out onto the floor from the lockerroom. A couple of reporters were in the line of the Pistons path out to the court. Laimbeer basically ran them over and the maneuver went noticed by the Trailblazers. History tells us the rest............:gun1: :winner_first_h4h: :makmiday: :football:
  8. Motown74

Motown74 Second Round Draft Pick

Hey all. Long time lurker living in Savannah, Ga but originally from Detroit.

I could go with some obvious Bad Boy moments perhaps (Magic and Zeke duking it out in the playoffs after kissing earlier-the kiss part my least favorite moment, btw), but will pick 2003 Game seven beat down that Detroit gave Orlando. Even though we didn't win it that year, that was the moment I realized that Doooooomars (another favorite memory) was putting something special together.

Favorite non-Piston moment: Starks dunking the ball in Jordan's grill. Still one of my favorite all-time dunks. The guy just kept going higher and higher.
  9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I agree. That was a turning point for sure. Suddenly they didn't just seem like an NBA team, they seemed like they might be a good NBA team.
  10. PistonFanInCavsTown

PistonFanInCavsTown First Round Draft Pick

Ditto for me. At 12 years old, I jumped on the Pistons bandwagon after they won the first 'ship in 89, so this was my first true season following them. Up until that game I would say I was a casual fan, but that final shot to clinch the game was my first experience with that feeling you get when the team you've followed all season reaches the pinnacle...
  11. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I love "the block"...could also have been the turning point.
  12. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

Despite the fact that my favorite moment(s) did not lead up to a 'ship, and despite the fact that Isiah Thomas was not my 'absolute favorite' player (Dumars was), Isiah's game against the Lakers when he could barely walk, was my favorite.

Second favorite was winning the second in a row, despite Joe's father passing during that series.
  13. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Wasn't "the block" in G5 and the Artest forearm shiver G6 of the 04 ECF? (An aside, how many dudes could claim that as one of their meeker NBA moments?)

Zeke's 20something point quarter against LA is near the top. Toppling Jordan in some way has to be there. Beating BOS in '89 also should be there.

Owing to my Boston roots and then C's allegiance I'll go with Laimbeer taking down Bird with a clothesline followed by Bird throwing the ball off of Laim's head. (Can you imagine if that happened today?) I always loved Laimbeer claiming he was trying to stop Bird from falling and Bird saying, 'Yeah, and I was just throwing the ball to the ref.'

As far as unreal moments go, the VJ/Dantley collision is it. Great topic.
  14. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

The Artest forearm was in Game 6. The Block was Game 2.
  15. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

maybe it goes to the underlining type of char guys that joe has gotten and other teams go for but that explosion in the playoffs and the brawl that happened a few months later wrecked one team and one team has continued to be an elite team in the league. Here's to the type of player Joe brings us, ones we can be proud of on and off the court.
  16. tedwick

tedwick Second Round Draft Pick

also on the wrong side of the back to backs... so, the block.
  17. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

That's one of my favorites, too. Anything involving Laimbeer is pretty good. One of the worst sports out there, and I loved him for it.

Vinnie's game-winning leaner in Game 5 was pretty good, too.

That being said, my favorite Pistons moment is yet to come. My favorite one this season, though, was Max's block on Tyson Chandler.

Video-Block of the Year: Jason Maxiell Eliminates Tyson Chandler Alley-oop - YouTube | NBA | Detroit Pistons | New Orleans Hornets
  18. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Winning that first title in '89 is the best for me, especially after all of the close calls and a heartache on the way. How sweet it was.
  19. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

20. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I like the way Jermaine gets all annoyed and starts that let-me-at-him stuff once Corliss is out of reach and leaving the court.

Good one.