you're bored? well so am i.

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Griffin, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Griffin

Griffin First Round Draft Pick

chauncey billups on the preseason:
    i have to say, these comments really pissed me off. as a fan, i enjoy watching basketball. no, wait. scratch that. as a fan, i enjoy watching players who enjoy playing basketball play basketball. but it seems like for the past few years i keep hearing comments like these. flip calls the regular season "the dog days." the pistons find so-called inferior opponents unworthy of their full competitive attention, and thus go through the motions during the regular season. billups himself in the past has commented on regular season boredom. i think there's even been some early-round playoff boredom in recent history.

well here's the thing: i like watching people who like to compete every time they're on the floor no matter what's at stake. what attitude do you think Big Ben had? that man left his guts on the hardwood every freakin' night.

what scares me is that saunders and billups are the leaders of this team, and as such, i'm afraid their uh, let's call it malaise, trickles down throughout the entirety of the team. and worse still, i'm afraid their malaise trickles down into me, the pistons fan.

just had to get that off my chest, do my part to try to inspire through criticism.
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I agree. I was surprised to see him say that when I first saw the quote.

I was also thinking that if the starters are so bored, then don't play them. It doesn't sound like they feel like they have to earn playing time, that's for sure.
  3. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Problem is, they don't give a crap and we know it and they don't give a crap that we know they don't give a crap.

Crap.

No one else (except maybe Boston) is playing their starters, Flip can't help himself he's gotta burn the starters even before the season starts. He should be ramping their minutes up as the season gets closer, but again...running them when it doesn't matter.
  4. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Damn!

You guys are on point. I read that comment also, and it bothered me.

CB still has that "flip the switch" mentality, it looks like. What could be more troublesome, he just signed his max deal, which could open up the floodgates of complacency.

As Griffin pointed out, Flip and CB are the leaders of this team, making comment like Billups` together with Flip Saunders coaching we might be in for a dissapointing season.
  5. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

LOL. Griff, if Chauncey's comments are an early barometer of the team's identity, I think ALOT of us are going to be "trying to inspire through criticism" here on Pf.com.

Chauncey blows my mind. How clueless he seems at times. This quote you gave us, Griff. Maybe a player could think this right? I mean I don't want them to think it as a fan because I want to think they've got heart in every game. BUT TO SAY IT? To a member of the media? I mean, this guy's not too smart. He's either being politically correct and giving canned answers or adding to his "so laid back I'm about to fall asleep" image. It all comes off as though he hasn't thought about the fans of his team or himself for YEARS. Already. How many years to go?

God, can't they put the microphone in front of Tay this season? That guy gives a good soundbite usually. I mean he acts all laid back too, but at least he is articulate.
  6. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

i really wasn't interested in signing Billups. Felt he was the one starter who needed to go. I hope he proves me wrong. At least he was cheap, due to a lack of interest..........wonder why.........:stirthepot:
  7. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

I felt the same way. I wish Joe D would tell them to at least pretend and not say they are not interested.
  8. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Sorry folks.

Here is what I believe C-Bill talking about in the short quote in the first post in this thread.

Except for rookies and those competing for playing time or a roster spot, they all hate exhibition games. A lot of American football players and executives, including coaches were talking again this summer how they wish they could do away with the 4 pre-season games.

I know baseball player's hate the exhibition season too.

None of these guys except for the rookies etc need 8 exhibition games to get their game in gear, unless they came to camp out of shape and most guys don't do that anymore.

I agree with C-Bill. I hate it too man. Boring sheet, with officials trying out their whistles and weird substitution patterns and injuries, some major and some not so major.

C-Bill is right on for my money and if he was being PC he never would have said squat instead of speaking how all the experienced NBA ballers really feel and most all the fans too, regardless of the team that they are on or who they are rooting for.

PISTONS 109, NUGGETS 106: Detroit wins, but Rip Hamilton could miss rest of preseason with ankle injury

:hoops:
  9. Dlev59

All of that would make sense if this same Chauncey Billups didn`t say almost the same thing during the regular season last year!!!!:hand:
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm sure he really is bored. But as a captain, he could ask Flip to limit the starters playing time. He could also pretend to be excited about playing to set an example for everyone else on the team. He could also ask Flip to play him with certain rookies to help develop their games.

If I were CB, I'd be really excited that I got re-signed for a huge contract, that I'm keeping the core of my team together, and that management added a bunch of new talent... or at the very least, I'd pretend to be.
  11. Tally

Tally First Round Draft Pick

Maybe it's just the contrarian in me, but those comments don't bother me. Now if Sheed and Max hadn't gotten in shape then I would be worried. OTherwise...

I'm giving our vets a pass here and letting the wide-eyed kids run through walls...
  12. buddahfan

How many people do you know that have been working at their job for 20 years (C-Bill has been playing competitively for about 20 years) that don't from time to time get bored with it and some are even bored all the time.

Yes, there are some people who even after 20 years still bring bright eyed enthusiasm to their job every day that they work, but those are rare and usually limited to owners of companies and even they have days that they are bored and would rather being golfing.

I just think it is unrealistic to expect an NBA veteran to get enthusiastic about every game during the year, especially when they are physically banged up, mentally and physically exhausted from a road trip or a series of back to backs like the Pistons played last year.

Yes it is surprising that C-Bill spoke out what probably 95% of the NBA players feel, so maybe he can be criticized for being truthfully politically incorrect.

13. Dlev59

Most of us don`t make millions doing what we do for 10 or 20 years either. I am sure millionaires do get exhausted, however, you are paid to perform and exhibit a positive and encouraging environment for your teammates (as a captain) whether you are exhausted or not.

Furthermore, you are a role model to younger players entering the league. Do you think it`s a good idea to be in Stuckey`s, AJ, and Affalo`s (I know I spelled that wrong) ear saying, "I hate the preseason"?

Perhaps, CB is not as smart as we all think he is. You would never hear some of the greats of the game say that, out loud.

You can applaud CB if you like for being politically correct or saying what others think and will not say, IMO, it was stupid, he is singing the same song, preseason or regular season.

Who wants to bet come March and April he will say, "bring on the playoffs, these last few games don`t mean anything anyway".

With your attitude Chauncey, they may mean even less thna you might think. That`s ok, he will still be getting paid though.
  14. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Almost all vets in every sport hate the pre-season. But given the way this team has approached the regular season, inferior opponents, the first quarter, etc. quotes like that piss me off.

WHEN WITH THIS DAMN TEAM LEARN?????? STOP FLIPPING THE FLIPPING SWITCH!!!

And what about the fans who have to PAY to go to the pre-season games. Do they deserve a lazy effort? It's one thing to think those thoughts, it's another to say them out loud.

This team is already pissing me off with their lazy, care free attitude and the season hasn't even started yet! :gun1:
  15. buddahfan

Sorry, but I really don't think money has anything to do with it.

Doctors make tons of money and I am sure that they get exhausted and bored. I am also sure that they talk about it with their nurses and fellow doctors when they are exhausted and bored or afterwards.

On the other hand does Mick Jagger ever get bored performing? I am sure that after giving concerts for close to 50 years that even Mick gets bored singing and performing "Satisfaction" for the who knows how many thousands of times. However, I don't think that Jagger would ever give an interview and tell his fans that he gets bored doing certain types of concerts in say certain cites. No way.

So I think that the debate here is, should C-Bill have said anything about it in public or not. I can definitely see where people will say he shouldn't have said anything, but I don't think it is realistic to expect it never to happen.

In my opinion young guys are going to relate more to a veteran speaking the truth then some PC stuff that is baloney.

All pro ball players get bored, so the other question here is in my opinion is how do you work through that boredom to maximize your performance in spite of being bored and exhausted at times. In my opinion the place to begin is too recognize that you are in fact exhausted and bored so that you then will know what to do to successfully work your way through and out of the problem.

16. Dlev59

I agree that regardless of what one may do they get exhausted and bored.

Would you like a doctor to perform surgery on you if he told you he was exhuatsed? That your surgery really didn`t mean anything to him/her, that the upcoming surgery next week is the big one?

I don`t think so.

How about Jagger telling his audience that he is going to half-ass his performance because the particular city he was in is not as impotant as his next stop.

It won`t happen.

I disagree about the approach to younger players.
  17. buddahfan

I can definitely understand everyone's frustration over the facts as you presented them. It also ticks me off no end.

Not to defend them, on this but I think that this group of Pistons starters tends to play at a slower speed than a lot of other starting units in the league.

To use an analogy is almost like the tortoise vs the hair race, with our guys being tortoises.

Everyone likes to see their team get out front early in all games and in the standings and stay in front. I think it is also human nature, however in horse racing their have been some great and very popular horses that ran from the back of the pack until the final turn for the stretch run.

In fact in horse racing a lot of times a trainer will enter two horses one mediocre and the other one of the favorites in the race. The mediocre horse will often set the early pace controlling the field early on and then the favorite will come up from near the back of the pack to win going away down the final stretch run. Of course that is horse racing and not basketball.

18. buddahfan

I hear ya. Fair enough.

19. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Appreciate all of the thoughts..good reading, but I want to get back to The Low's point about Flip playing his starters and every other team with the exception of Boston, playing mostly their rookies and sophs. We have a cohesive unit in at least 4 of the starters... why do they have to start in every preseason game and if they do why do they even have to play more than 15 minutes.

Since only the fans care if they win or lose these preseason games, I say start Stuckey, Aflollo, Max, Hayes and AJ if he is ready before the regular season and see how these guys fair in the first quarter. In other words We already lost Rip for a few games playing in what CB says are meaningless games, and I can see Sheed gettin hurt next as he doesn't seem to give a darn anyway...lets hope no one else goes down.
  20. buddahfan

One reason I can think of for starting and playing the starters is if the play book on both offense and defense was sufficiently changed to require even the vets to play minutes to get the reps down on the new plays so it gets more automatic for them to run when the regular season starts.

If new plays have been inserted and new defensive schemes I wouldn't want my starters to run through them only in practice. It is not the same as actual game conditions.

I don't know if that is the case with the Pistons this year, but if it is then I can understand why the starters are starting even in the early exhibition games, if it is not the case than I agree that their is little need to play them in the early exhibition season as much as Flip has played them, except for the injuries requiring those left standing to play more minutes.