you're bored? well so am i.

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Griffin, Oct 15, 2007.

1. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Agree with that thought Buddha, but one thing for certain, Flip has not drawn up any new plays or schemes that are noticeable.....Sheed and Tay are still playing the playing the perimter and the interior defense still looks like it did when Labron penetrated it at will last May....

2. max

max All-Star

I saw the switch big time last game. They started out great then in the 2nd half it was like the starters did not care anymore. Sure its the pre-season but its disturbing to see even in the pre-season given how many times the team was burned by it. Will they ever learn?

If this continues into the reg season then Dumars is going to have to make some trades. We will see. I am still willing to give them a chance to see what happends.

Perhaps Flip can try benching everyone who is not giving it 100% out there. Even if it means losing a few games. See how Billups likes it watching from the bench. I don't know if he needs to be reminded that PT is not a given. I would start now in the pre-season.

3. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

It's too bad someone couldn't invent an "effort meter". Some program you could put on a chip and then implant into the athletes arm or something that would measure their effort.

Otherwise I guess we will have to continue to rely on the old "rolling your eyes" during the time outs and "beads of sweat count" to determine the effort levels. LOL

:hoops:

4. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I said this on another board, and got crucified for it. People immediately started pointing out how CHA or MEM or teams like that have starters that are playing big minutes. It's not Flip's fault bla bla bla. Who cares about non playoff teams and how much they play their starters?!

I haven't seen the Spurs players playing big min or DAL for that matter. A few DNP for their starters actually.

5. buddahfan

MLive.com: Everything Michigan

6. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

matt dery was talking with one of the assistant coaches on the radio during the last postgame and mentioned how last year the pistons would slack in the 1st half, and turn it on in the 3rd, yet now they're doing the opposite. i think the coaches are aware, but don't want to make a big deal out of it unless it continues to happen in the regular season.

7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

This stuff ticks me off, whether the quote is in or out of context. I know there are a lot of diehard fans here and elsewhere who put a lot of money, time and interest into the team.

I think Chauncey will stop being bored when Stuckey starts taking his minutes. In my experience, that's the only way to combat big headed apathy. If there is one thing Joe is guilty of, is providing players too much job security.

Go Pistons!

8. max

max All-Star

I think thats the only way. Players who get bored are the ones who think they have nothing to lose. Its not like they have just won their 3rd straight championship. Thats what I cannot understand. We just cannot tolerate the switch for one more year. I can't buy the reg season is not worth trying, April is too far away. Whats the point of following them then.

9. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Not sure if this matters but I was at the game on Sunday vs. Denver. It was hard for me as a fan to get excited for a few reasons and I probably attend only 1-2 games a year (even though I watch most on tv):

No AI
    No Melo
    No NeNe
    No Thunder Stix
    and the most important thing of all...

NO Pyrotechnics (sp)!!!!

The Intro gets played with the lights off but when C-Bills hammers the oppositions logo with the hammer; there is NO BOOM. No heat from the flames.

Even the Piston Brass are treating the pre-season as not as important as the regular season. The opposition is treating it as not as important.

I guess we could force the players to pump themselves up and treat each game like game 7. But wouldn't that kinda be like softball guy treating his beer league like the World Series?? Just adding a little more to the discussion. :MusicBigGrin:

10. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

That's exactly the problem. It's never Flips fault. I've never seen a coach who claims to have so little power and with less responsibility, but with more absolution than this guy. He can never be blamed for anything. Scrub teams HAVE to play their main guys because they aren't as good as the elite teams so they need the run. Same thing with new teams like Boston.

Then he starts the parrot talk of resting the starters AFTER one of his guys goes down against nobodies.

11. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Re: Bup-Bup just wants the last 8 minutes...

That's what he said in a recent interview.
    He wants to be fresh the last 8 minutes so he can deal a few sick dimes then rain the tre. All this to yank the still beating heart out of some 3 to 8 seed team..
    Well he better be hot when he steps in there. Or FlipM and Stuckey will eat those sweet last 8 minutes.:sssh:

12. buddahfan

Add Manny to the list of bored athletes. Maybe he is has been hanging out with C-Bill. LOL

ESPN - Manny: BoSox losing ALCS not 'end of the world' - MLB

The Manny diaries - MLB - Yahoo! Sports

13. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Manny has seemed like the type of guy who gets around on a magic carpet........

14. buddahfan

The game announcers on FOX last night were actually trying to parse the emphasis on the words in the quote to bring the quote over in a positve light.

It was another clear example of media manipulation.

Manny's failure later in the game to run out that single would be home run and wind up at first base was an action consistent with most peoples' interpretation of the quote and not FOXs' attempt last night at the parsed quote.

15. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Manny being Manny. And they won, back to Chowderville.

16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I bet Manny performs better with that attitude. He'll be loose as a goose with the game on the line.

Of course, it is a stupid thing to say.

But think of it this way, it is the equivalent to imagining the crowd in their underwear when you are going to deliver a big speach. It keeps things in perspective and you don't freeze.

17. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Getting stuck at 1st was stupid. The booth guy tried to smooth out the "F off" remark but he couldn't comprehend the trot to first. How do you tell a talent like that to "get your head out?!"

18. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Found in this couples of days that preseason games were bore as hell. You know we didn't used to have preseason games live on TV over here until this week where Magic and Cavs had NBA games in China. Players except those who were fighting for a spot, were not ready and they were lucky for not getting injured. Preseason exhibition games were warm-up rehearsals should only held in closed gyms otherwise I would say it's a cheat even for free entrance let alone US$130.- for an upper deck seat in Shanghai.

19. buddahfan

I know I risk what little credibility I have on this forum by bringing a McCosky opinion to support my point on anything, but this time I think he is right on.

A. All vets get bored, especially in pre-season play.
    B. That the vets better step lively once the season starts or they will find their minutes cut and possibly even an exit ticket out of the Palace.

In the last couple of years there was not enough talent on the bench so the vets had to play more minutes than they should have played. So as a result there were periods of coasting on the court by the veterans to conserve their energy needed for the longer minutes.

There is now enough talent among the Pistons young and hungry that the veterans can maintain a higher energy level while on the court knowing that they will be playing fewer minutes.

Don't worry about Pistons' blowout losses