You're the GM: Pistons' offseason

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Laimbrane, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

Many apologies to BillLaimbeer for stealing and altering his thread idea, but I thought it might be fun to see what everyone would do with the Pistons if they were Dumars (assuming he's retained, of course).

A couple rules of thumb so we don't get obnoxious posts.

1) Free agent signees should have a good reason to come here. If it's purely the money, then you need to tell us how much more you're offering a guy than other teams. Detroit is not a preferred destination unless a) the player has ties to the area, b) the player would play more here than in other preferred places, or c) the player is not offered a contract by a preferred destination (any of the teams with a legitimate chance of competing for a title next year, as well as a player's hometown, and/or NJ or Phoenix).

2) For now, use the 7th overall pick. It's possible that Detroit will pick in a different spot, but until the lottery, pretend you're at #7.

3) In addition, if you select a player, you should provide at least one credible draft site that has him dropping to #7 in a mock draft. In other words, no Irving.

4) Play by the current cap rules. Yes, I know, the new CBA will throw everything off, but this is a hypothetical.

5) Trades need to both work in ESPN.com's trade machine, and make sense for both teams. Sell trades to us skeptical fans as if we were fans of the other team trading their guys/picks for Detroit's chaff. As a quick rule of thumb, the other team should benefit in the trade in at least two of the following areas: it's a salary dump to get under cap limit, they're getting rid of bad long-term contracts, increasing PER from the position, significantly strengthening a weak position, and either getting younger or adding leadership. In other words, ask yourself if you would make the trade if you were the other GM.

If you want to go against any of those, more power to you. But don't expect us to respect your offseason if it's unrealistic, even if it's awesome.

2. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Following your stipulations means that I actually have to work, instead of just making up stuff for the [STRIKE]aggrevation[/STRIKE] enjoyment of our readers.

I'll just wait and see what Laimbeer posts and then improve upon his thoughts, if possible...:)

3. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Austin Daye + a 2nd-rounder for Washington's first rounder (to be Kenneth Faried).

Our pick: JIMMMERRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

1. a quick glance to calendar - 30 jun
    2. a call to lawyers - no sign of new CBA
    3. where is my fishing equipement?

5. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

This is from last week's Piston Bleacher report and some things haave changed (like Zebo resigning with the Grizz) but the writer provides a lot of suggestions for Gores and Dumars about GM changes, coaching changes, who to draft, free agency and who to dump....

Good reading for pistons.management.owner.org to read and ponder along of course with us minority PF owners:)

Detroit Pistons: 7 Steps to Restore the Engine | Bleacher Report

6. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

Some decent points in there I guess. Not sure how he can mention respectfully let go of the past and then hire Bill Laimbeer in the same article though.

7. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Some interesting points, but if we can't land Tyson Chandler he's trying to make the case for Kirilenko, or Marvin Williams etc, to fill the holes in the wings. The one place we don't have a hole in is the SG & SF spots. WTH? Also a Walker-Gordon backcourt? This guy's on dust.

8. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I was thinking wacky weed, but you're right, that's probably not strong enough to take you out to where he is.

9. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

I'd like to play, but your direction (and not your understanding) is certainly oriented in a GM perspective. However, it's just too complicated with the other strong and weak associations that we have no clues as what we know, that we don't know.

There are some dynamics involved that might gain us in some insights on JD's future role. It would behoove us to understand the dual role that the owner will have to take. Watch for the dialectic. Usually in these cases you can gain some other perceptions by the watch of involvement by like-minded ownership patterns.

With the younger ownership crowd you could project a certain disassociation from the "business" rules, leaning toward the struggle toward and then away as cultural ego understands the "turning wheel".

There will be a short, but intense leaning curve for JD and Gores. Who would you project in having the most churning?

...the intention is not enough. You must go through the motions. It is not enough for a Tibetan to have the intention of saying prayers: he must rotate the prayer wheel.

Edward de Bono

10. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

I think it's actually closer to believing that Santa is willing to go out on a bitterly cold night.

11. CarlosGallan

CarlosGallan First Round Draft Pick

Paul wills Hornets past Lakers to tie series - NBA - CBSSports.com

Paul is Isiah thomas,we will sell Pistons glory around the world again,if i was Gores i will clean all salary to join Paul,our youngs players and Howard at all cost.
    It´s all about money but we have time to rebuild and clean de locker room(villanueva,gordon,maxiel and hamilton).
    Paul is pistons basketball.

12. coynejeremy

Great quote at the end. I love U2.

13. coynejeremy

Great quote at the end. I love U2.:)

14. Walter

If Dumars (or whatever GM Gores ends up going with) can pull that off, that'll be unbelievable. The two of those make $30m together, and you can put a decent supporting staff around them. We'll need to dump CV, Gordon and Rip to pull that off. Gordon would make that back court too weak. Afflalo would make a great back court mate for CP3. Tough perimeter defender who is a great 3 point shooter. If Monroe can extend his range to 16-18 feet, this lineup would be quite tough to beat:

CP3-Afflalo-Daye-Monroe-Howard

Bynum, Stuckey and JJ can be the core of your bench with another 7 footer that's good for 6 hard fouls and a PF.

EDIT: Actually, looking at the salaries, it might be possible (money-wise) to get CP3 and Howard while keeping either Ben Gordon or CV so long as we dump two of the three huskies we have.

I would give up all of our draft picks for the next 4 years, plus Dumars' left kidney to make that deal happen.

15. copper

copper Bench Warmer

hell Id even throw your kidney in for good measure.:gun1:

16. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

If he'd pull that off I'd refer to him by Sir Joe Dumars. I would also insist on Roscoe adding an autoban function for any post including "Joe Dumars" not containing "sir" or "king".

17. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Why would the Pistons give up all that to get Chris Paul when they already have Rodney Stuckey? Stuckey has a size advantage over just about everyone he plays against and is great at getting to the line.

18. copper

copper Bench Warmer

:stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot:
    :stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot: From this point forward the poster formerly known as " Ernie the Slow Adult" will now be known as..." the ladel"

19. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Paul averages 25.5 PPG, 7.0 RPG, 11.5 APG and 2.0 steals during the playoffs so far. If you disregard rebounds and steals and compare this to Stuckeys averages vs Cleveland on April 11 his numbers are 29.0 PPG and 14.0 APG. And he's got a size advantage. Pretty close considering sample size, I guess it comes down to if you are a faint-guy or a bad knee-guy.

20. Walter

:pound::pound::pound: