You're the GM: Pistons' offseason

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Laimbrane, Apr 15, 2011.

1. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Masterful.
  2. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Anyone can put up numbers in the playoffs. Wake me when Paul drops 22 and 11 against the Nets in a non-televised April contest.
  3. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Good observation. Stuckey has it all..
  4. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

lol.. funny stuff.
  5. CarlosGallan

CarlosGallan First Round Draft Pick

Imposible is nothing...:MusicBigGrin: I know it´s very dificult but...why not? Gores needs to sell his project,sell tickets, Paul is money, we have gordon,stuckey to trade with bad contracts, Villanueva is good player in ofensive teams, let me dream to buy Chris Paul nba swingman detroit pistons...
  6. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

...I really love this place.
  7. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

Aww, it went and got funny, and my hard work on this now looks really self-important. :(

Whatever. The draft lottery isn't until May 17th, and there's no CBA, but I'm bored.

First order of business: Hire new coach

Pistons hire Bill Laimbeer as their next head coach. He was the ultimate competitor in his playing days, won a WNBA championship as a coach, and has a very good basketball mind. I want to construct a tenacious, intense team full of competitive players that are willing to do whatever it can to win, and that describes Bill Laimbeer to a T.

Oh yeah... fire Keuster first.

Second order of business: Shed expensive long-term contracts

Trade 1
    Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva to Toronto for SG Leandro Barbosa and PF Linas Kleiza.

This assumes that Barbosa reups for $7.6 million, which I think is likely.
    Why Toronto would do it: Last year Toronto was the worst 3pt shooting team in the league. By pulling in Gordon and sliding Derozan over to the SF, Toronto now trots out Calderon/Gordon/Derozan/Johnson or Villanueva/Bargnani, which is a significant improvement over the team they had last year, and could easily be good enough for the playoffs.
    Benefit for the Pistons: This is mainly a salary dump, but Barbosa would be a solid starter and Kleiza would be a strong bench player; both are better defensively than either Gordon or Villanueva.

Leandro Barbosa: "Has a knack for driving to the basket... Excellent athleticism... Very aggressive... Incredibly quick... Long arms... Strange shooting mechanic... Has improved his playmaking skills... Looks much better at the shooting guard position... Very streaky."
    Linas Kleiza: "Tough and strong forward with good knowledge of the game... Nice inside-outside game... Good shooter."

Trade 2
    Richard Hamilton and a 2011 second-rounder to Cleveland for PF Antawn Jamison

Why Cleveland would do it: Antawn Jamison is a better player than Rip statistically, but he's $3 million more a year and has talked about retiring. I don't think Cleveland's likely to find a better player willing to come to Cleveland in free agency. If they manage to pull Derrick Williams, they're looking at a lineup of Davis/Hamilton/Williams/Hickson/Varejao, which is a solid starting 5 - better than the lineup that went 6-6 at the end of last year (when Baron Davis was added).
    Benefit for the Pistons: The Pistons shave a year off of Hamilton's salary by taking Jamison. Rip won't agree to a buyout, but now the Pistons have enough cap room to absorb Jamison's hit for the season, even if he retires (as he has stated he is thinking about doing). I figure that's about how much it would cost them to buy out Hamilton, so it's negated. And in the case that the Pistons are able to get another good year out of him off the bench, all the better.

Antawn Jamison: "Can play both forward spots... Very good scorer... Knows how to get his buckets... A threat both in the low post and the perimeter... Pretty good rebounder... Not likely to pass the ball much... Plays little defense."

Third order of business... Upgrade roster

New Orleans is in trouble. Everyone knows that Paul is one of the top 5 players in the NBA, and suspects that he's fantasizing about playing with Dwight Howard. Unfortunately for Howard and Paul, there's no way you're going to get them both to Orlando (who will probably have to reup Arenas to the tune of $20 million), and New York (who feels they're entitled to every superstar) has Anthony and Stoudemire on the books in 2013 for $40 million. But what about New Orleans? They could sign Howard and another big name free agent (Blake Griffin, Lamar Odom, etc.), then sign Paul over and above the cap. Now, there's no way that they'll be able to keep Paul unless they lure Howard away, but that's going to be tough without some cap space. I say we use that against them.

Sign-and-Trade: Tayshaun Prince, Jason Maxiell and a 2012 first for Emeka Okafor and Trevor Ariza.

Why New Orleans would do it: This is a strange trade and a delicate balancing act of contract years and money, borderline collusion on New Orleans' part, and some pieces falling into place. Basically, the idea is that New Orleans sells Paul on the possibility of getting Eric Gordon and Dwight Howard to come to New Orleans. He then has to work the back channels to ensure they're on board before the whole thing happens, but I doubt that would be a problem if they all knew what type of money they were in for. They resign David West to about a $12 million contract. In 2012, Paul has a player option of $17 million that he declines, making him a free agent. The Hornets sign Howard ($20 mil) and Gordon ($15 mil). Unfortunately, there's just not enough space under the salary cap to sign West this year and Howard/Gordon next year, because Ariza ($7 million) and Okafor ($12 million) are standing in the way with large contracts. Enter the Pistons. They re-sign Prince to a 1-year and trade him and Jason Maxiell to New Orleans for Okafor and Ariza. Now in 2012, New Orleans signs Howard and Gordon, and goes over the cap to sign Paul and their own returning free agent, Tayshaun Prince. They then trot out a lineup of Paul/Gordon/Prince/West/Howard, which would be incredible (and really expensive).
    How Detroit benefits: Well, New Orleans has to make it worth it for Detroit to basically hand them the West for five years (other than watching it not be won by Los Angeles - that's just a side benefit). Okafor is not an offensive juggernaut, but he's one of the best defensive centers in the NBA. Ariza is a solid 3, and they get rid of Maxiell in order to match up salaries.

Trevor Ariza: Very long and athletic... Pretty good finisher... Good defender... Great offensive rebounder... Has improved his jump shot... Not a great scorer, though.
    Emeka Okafor: A defensive stalwart... Will block a lot of shots and grab a lot of rebounds... Great positioning and timing... Very intelligent... Bad free-throw shooter... Not very skilled offensively... Will probably never develop into a consistent scorer.

Contracts:
    Jamison $15,076,729
    Okafor $12,541,842
    Barbosa $7,600,000
    Ariza $7,258,960
    Kleiza $4,605,000
    Bynum $3,500,000
    Monroe $3,007,920
    Wallace $2,246,400
    Daye $1,929,840
    White $788,872
    Total: $58,555,519

Re-sign:
    Jerebko (three year contract starting at $4,500,000): Tough player whose injury likely cost him some green this offseason, as he now presents a bit of a risk for suitor teams. Nonetheless, a hard worker with a strong motor, and an excellent role player.

Stuckey (Three years, $6,250,000): Essentially, the options are limited as the Pistons approach the cap, and they're not likely to find a better option offensively than Stuckey, especially not one that is willing to come to the team for significantly less than Stuckey. Frankly, I believe that with the right coaching, he can be one of the premier point guards in the league.

Draft:
    1 - Bismack Biyombo: Yeah, yeah, it could easily be all hype. I know he's a risk, but he's ridiculously athletic, runs the floor well, looks to have a high ceiling, plays the game with a lot of fire and emotion, and would be mentored by one of the greatest weak-side shot blockers in NBA history (Wallace) as well as one of the least-physically-talented but hardest-working, toughest, sneakiest, and fundamentally sound big men in NBA history (Laimbeer). He's a work in progress offensively, and the Pistons would have to do some research to nail down his exact age, but if he become even half the player Wallace was in his prime, he'd be well-worth being the 7th overall pick in such a weak draft.

2 - Traded to Cleveland

That gives us the following lineup:

PG: Stuckey/Bynum
    SG: Barbosa/White
    SF: Ariza/Jerebko/Daye
    PF: Monroe/Kleiza/Biyombo
    C: Okafor/Wallace

Summary

In addition to a good team in 2011-2012, the Pistons are only on the hook for $38 million in 2012-2013 while retaining their young nucleus of Stuckey, Bynum, Jerebko, Daye, Monroe, and Biyombo (or whoever they draft) - along with Kleiza and Okafor - leaving them in position to pick up a couple quality free agents in 2012. The team as drawn is a tougher, more intense, and better defensive team than the current Pistons' team. If (and this is a relatively big "if") Laimbeer is the disciplined, no-nonsense coach that we're hoping for, and if Stuckey can take that step-forward into the top-notch point guard that he's shown glimpses of becoming, then we're looking at a team that is set up to be competitive for a long time.
  8. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Laimbrane, great stuff. Two questions:

1. You are keeping Joe Dumars?

2. You are not getting a true point guard?
  9. Laimbrane

1. I'm pretending I AM Joe, I guess.

2. The true point guard is a tough find. Basically, I think Stuckey is a better realistic option than anyone else in the free agent market, and better than any PGs in the draft other than Irving or Knight - both of whom I expect to be gone by 7.
  10. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Good stuff Laimbrane.

It would be hilarious to trade Rip to Cleveland. I mean, if there's no buyout involved, he has no choice.

I don't think Orlando will reup Arenas. He's on the books for another 3 years after this I think. If they can dump Arenas, they'd do it in a heartbeat. I wouldn't count Orlando out of CP3 sweepstakes yet. They can sign CP3 if only they can dump Arenas' contract. The problem is Howard's BFF Nelson. He needs to go as well. But if that's what needs to happen to get CP3, I'm sure Howard will go along with it. One of the biggest problems with Orlando is their coach unfortunately.

The Okafor trade is intriguing as he'd need to be dumped to make room for Howard. As the CP3/Howard trade season gets closer, there'll be a lot of good players to pick up.

Oh, and more importantly, Laimbeer won THREE titles with the Shock. :)
  11. Laimbrane

I don't think they have a choice with reupping Arenas, do they? I mean, isn't that a player option?
  12. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I think so. Essentially he's got another 3 years for around $18M a season. Talk about a boat anchor.
  13. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yep I agree with Bill, these are great scenarios, but only the Lakers can survive without a true PG, so we still need that to get past game six of the ECF or a true go to guy...which we are still lacking in addition to the true PG
  14. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think the main issue with that assembled team is it will struggle to score big time.

Ariza is a career 43% shooter but in his past 2 seasons where he has been asked to become a 2nd or 3rd scoring option that has declined to 39%, even with arguably the games best PG. Not a good proposition.

Okafor's defense has been over-rated for a long time I think. He has basically been a non-factor in the Lakers series due to foul trouble.

Barbosa should not be a starter for any team right now. He has been limited by injuries but even so, his best weapon is being a streak shooter off the bench.

So who is your number 1 option? Stuckey. A lot of people would like to see Stuckey as a bench option, but this is just inviting Stuckey to take even more shots than he does. I don't think we can be successful if Stuckey is the leading scorer.
  15. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Why do you say that?
  16. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

We could always draft two more combo guards. Then we could rename the Palace...

Overstock.com Arena...
  17. Laimbrane

You're 100% correct and I acknowledge that that's this team's one big weakness - at least to start off. I guess I'm kind of looking at this hoping that even though the team lacks a true go-to threat, they can play defense and play within a solid enough offensive system to overcome the lack of a true #1.

The end result is that it's really hard to remake this team. Hamilton's contract is a b***h, Gordon's and Villanueva's values are at an all-time low, the team lacks the two positions hardest to find (PG and C), and as I went through all of the different teams around the league, there aren't too many for whom Prince is an upgrade at SF, which means they aren't going to have a lot of trade options for him. That's why I have the crappy team I do. Sadly, Joe's really painted himself into a corner.
  18. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I guess the point is, if you're going to do all of this cool analysis, make draft picks, trades, dream moves, etc., why do you settle for a team with no point guard?

19. Laimbrane

Because I don't see how they would get one. Nobody in free agency is an upgrade over Stuckey, the only two guys in the draft worth looking at at #7 are probably going to be gone, and they'd have to give up too much to get one in a trade (i.e. Monroe). All this talk about "get a point guard" (not just in this thread, btw) ignores the fact that we don't have a true point guard because they're really hard to find.

I'm willing to listen if anyone has a suggestion, but I don't see it right now.
  20. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Are you saying Stuckey takes more shots than he should? I don't think that's really the case. He was second on the team in shots, but he was far and away the most efficient overall scoring the basket. He should be taking shots on this team.