Zach Randolph?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by max, Jun 5, 2007.

1. max

max All-Star

Zach Randolph seems to be the latest rage on talk radio to be the next Piston big name aquisition via trade.

Portland is apparently open to trading him.

He is 25 years old and put up some impressive stats last season 23.6 PPG and 10.1 RPG. But he is only 6'9" and only had 0.2 BPG.

Does anyone know anything about him? Any scouting reports? I have not watched many Portland games last season to know. Actually none.
  2. Oracle

Oracle First Round Draft Pick

Max, he's a real load in the post, but he is a forward, not a center.

I like what Strokin 3's said on the other board. We should also look at making a run for Gasol. He's the best Euro I've seen in the post, and he's big at 7'2. Even more important, we might keep him away from Chicago.

The real question is do we have anything they want and is it too much to give. However, I would love to get Zach to enhance our post game.

IMO, if we had Zach, we'd be preparing for the finals. No way the Cavs could stop both Sheed and Zach in the post.
  3. max

max All-Star

Thanks for the info.

Bad news we would have to give up Hamilton in any of those deals. Randolph would be cheaper to get trade wise. If you want something you have to give up something. Get a nice athletic front court there with Amir and Maxiel are thrown in.

I would love to have Gasol, especially since Randolph would give us an abondance of PF's and no center. Pau gets hurt a lot but at least we would have an excuse rather than this switch crap to blame.
  4. himat

himat Bench Warmer

No I am fine with Sheed and Amir. We will be getting someone in the draft as well. Not to mention the Pistons have a guy who gives a lot more energy in J Max.

Trade for a slasher.
  5. monrams99

monrams99 First Round Draft Pick

Hello NO!! Zach is another guy with attitide problems on and off the court. I can stomach sheeds attitude but add zach on the mix i dunno..
  6. crumbs

crumbs First Round Draft Pick

Zach Randolph, on paper would be a nice addition, but in reality I would never do that deal.

1. His contract is huge, starting at 13mil next year and reaching 17mil in 2010/2011.

2. He's had microfracture surgery. It appears that he has recovered, but it's something to keep in mind.

3. Plays horrible defense and seems to take lots of games off.

4. Off-the-court issues

The Pistons appear open to taking chances on guys like Zach, but that contract is a major issue. If he didn't pan out, it would be impossible to move him.
  7. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Deal suggested by a Portland pundit has Detroit shipping out Chauncey for Jarrett Jack and Randolph. Supposedly this would be Portland demanding "more" from Detroit than Richard Hamilton.

I'd do this in a second, just to get younger at two main positions.
  8. detteam

detteam All-Star

Get Laimbeer to coach Randolph and I'd do that deal too. If Flip stays, then I say no.
  9. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

The contract is pretty good when you're paying for 20 and 10 and a true offensive force in the paint. There aren't too many big guys that can give you that.

As far as impossible to move him, well, he's only two years younger than Tayshaun Prince, a guy that Piston fans around the globe are waiting for the "upside" to kick in on.
    The Pistons could spend the next three years rebuilding around Zach and when they were through he'd still be younger (28) than Richard Hamilton is right now.
    You know who's 28 right now?
    Mehmet Okur.
    Zach will be 28 in three years.

I'm sure at that juncture Joe wouldn't have to wait too long by the phone if he were trying to move a 28 year old 20 and 10 big man.
  10. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

I start saying no to eating and sleeping at the thought of Flip staying.
  11. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Randolph has a couple left-handed hook shots spinning or driving left from the right box; he also has a decent jumpshot that he relies on way too often. He can get hot, but his percentage drops precipitously against a committed defender. He's a solid but unspectacular position rebounder with neither the ability nor the desire to chase down rebounds more than 2 spaces away. He flat out doesn't play defense. He passes out of the post like Tayshaun Prince. And there are all the other issues crumbs mentioned.

I don't like it. Gasol, maybe. Randolph, no.
  12. crumbs

Like I said, on paper Randolph sounds great. However, when you watch his half-assed play or read about his questionable behavior, his many flaws make that contract seem absurd. Do you really want to build the team around someone like Randolph? Portland would have moved him by now if it was so easy to trade head cases that will be making 17 million a year.
  13. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

20 and 10.

It's hard to find players that do that in a season.

The list isn't that long if you take the last ten seasons.

And yet his offense is supposedly flawed while his rebounding is sub-par?

Thats ridiculous. This isn't exactly analyzing something subjective like whether or not a player plays "good defense" or not.

You simply don't fall rear backwards into 20 and 10 for an entire season. That is a statistical fact.
  14. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

In four years.

17 million now and 17 million in 4 years are two different things.

His contract is completely reasonable for his output. The problem is we don't have anyone putting up those numbers for you all to compare his contract to.

Besides Rasheed Wallace. Rasheed is a better defensive player. Zach is a better rebounder and a greater force in the post.

Sounds like equal salary guys to me.
  15. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Usually you have to take bad with good. Yes, Randolph is a risk. But the payoff could be there. The only question is - what do we have to give up.
  16. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Kevin Garnett and Shawn Marion give you 20 and 10 too, and if they're forced to be the best player on their basketball teams they'll lead you right into the lottery. 20 and 10 is the sign of a respectable offensive big man, but it says nothing about either his defense or his overall impact, and Randolph plays no defense at all, although his overall impact is greater than Garnett's or Marion's.

And I didn't say his rebounding was "subpar", but rather that it was "solid".

Look, Z-Bo's essentially a souped-up Corliss Williamson, and while that's a nice piece to have it isn't the centerpiece of a championship offense.
  17. crumbs

I guess we just have different ideas about the value of 17 million dollars. To me, if a player is getting that kind of money, he has to be the cornerstone of the franchise, a dependable player that carries the team. Randolph is anything but a dependable, franchise player. He's a player that will drag a franchise down with his bloated salary, poor work ethic, and bad attitude.

As far as Rasheed and Randolph being "equal" consider this. Rasheed has proven over his career that he can produce for winning teams and can be an asset in the playoffs. Randolph puts up big numbers on a lottery team. Lots of guys look like world beaters on 20-30 win teams, but cannot match that performance on decent teams.
  18. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

19. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

When Rasheed came to the Pistons he was motivate to get out of Portland and change his image. He wanted to get a ring and be with a team that could take some of the load off of him.

I don't know if Randolph is motivated to change..but if he is and he would work on playing some defense he might be worth the money. It might be a chance to get a front line player that won't come around again in the near future. It might be the type of move that could solidify this team for a few more years.

I would have to trust Dumars to make a judgement on that.

Some of this off the court stuff gets blown out of proportion. Can you imagine how Flip Murray's off court adventure would have played out if he was in Portland?
  20. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA