Zone?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by himat, May 2, 2006.

?

Would a zone defense work in the playoffs for the pistons?

Poll closed May 12, 2006.
  1. Yes

37.5%
  2. No

62.5%
  1. himat

himat Bench Warmer

We know flip used the zone in minnesota This team has a lot. An nba analysyst name Tim Mccormick said that flip is very good at defensive coaching!, and that we might see the pistons pull out the zone against worse shooting teams (miami, san antonio). This team has great length, and is pretty good at rotating plus all our starters are candidates for all defensive teams. Think we'll see the zone, and should we use it?
  2. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i said yes, but not meaning all the time
  3. himat

himat Bench Warmer

We definantly won't see it against a bucks or wizards team because it wouldn't work, but I don't know if it will work on a miami, or san antonio who rely more on the interior.
  4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Zone is a look. You don't want to play it as your base. Every team is different, and any of the later round opponents who rely on jump shooting will be able to compensate game to game against a zone with adjustments.

A trick I like is zoning after missed baskets and playing man after makes. IRREGARDLESS, the Pistons need to get better at hustling back on defense and establish their half court position. I think the lack of upcourt pressure is making it hard for them to keep up with teams that run.
  5. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Zone is for teams that can't play defense.
  6. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Zone is also for teams that can't shoot ... making it a virtual synonym for "Cavs kryptonite." As a change-up I believe it would be a useful tactic.
  7. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I disagree with this statement. A zone will only work if all of the players know their assignments and rotate correctly. Weak defensive players will get beat no matter what defense they run. I think a zone can be used by the Pistons occasionally to slow down an opponent that is on a run, especially if there is one particular mismatch (e.g., Redd, LeBron, Wade, Shaq, Duncan, etc.) that a team is exploiting.